Some people have asked me for helpful references on Yemen. So, here is a list of some free electronic academic, advocacy or policy oriented reports on Yemen's transitional period in English.
The aim is to provide researchers with easy access to online materials that might help in the research process. Of course I advise you to also read historical analysis in order to have a more comprehensive comprehensive understanding of the current situation. [I hope to list some book recommendations in a future post]
This list is a work in progress, I will periodically update it and add new material. Please feel free to recommend other online publications, or if any of the researchers want to make their work public, feel free to send it to me and we can upload it on the cloud and link it here. [thanks to those who already did that].
GENERAL INFO ON TRANSITIONAL PERIOD
- Adra, Najwa, Tribal Mediation in Yemen and its Implication to Development, (Österreichische Akademie der Wissenschaften/Austrian Academy of Sciences, Volume 19, 2011).
- Al-Akhali, Rafat, The Challenge of Federalism in Yemen, (The Atlantic Council, May 2014).
- Al-Falahi, Ashraf, Yemen’s Fraught Constitution Drafting Committee, (Washington D.C.: Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, May 2014).
- Al-Madhaji, Maged, Federalism in Yemen: Unasked Questions & Uncertain Solutions (Paris: Arab Reform Initiative, August 2014).
- Al-Muslimi, Farea, Deadlocked Yemen, (Washington D.C.: Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, 30 June 2013).
- Alviso-Marino, Anahi, Making Stories Visible, A Yemen Art History, (Ibraaz, 9 September 2014)
- Alviso-Marino, Anahi, From Street Politics to Street Art in Yemen, (Nafas, July 2013).
1. Alviso-Marino, Anahi, Oralpresentation: The Politics of Painting in Public Spaces: Yemeni Street Artas Device for Political Action, (Symposium at university of Pennsylvania: 9 April 2014).
- Carapico, Sheila, A New Green Zone in Sanaa, (Middle East Research and Information Project -MERIP, January 2013).
- Dingli, Sophia, Is the failed State Thesis Analytically Useful? the Case of Yemen, (Politics, 1 November 2012).
- Durac, Vincent, Yemen's Arab Spring - Democratic Opening or Regime Maintenance, (Mediterranean Politics, 2012) p. 161-178.
- Durac, Vincent, The European Union in Yemen: the Triumph of Pragmatism Over Normativity? (European Foreign Affairs Review, 2010), p. 645-661.
- Elham Manea, The Perils of Yemen’s Cunning State, (Norwegian Peace-building Resource Centre, September 2012).
- Elham, Manea, Yemen’s Contentious Transitional Justice and Fragile Peace, (Yemen-Alaan, March 2014).
- Haddad, Saleem and Joshua Rogers, Yemen: People's Peacemaking Perspectives, (SaferWorld, November 2011).
- Havoshki, Mostafa, Barriers of Political Development in Yemen, (European Journal of Business and Social Science, June 2014), p.54 - 60.
- Heinz, Marie-Christine, On ‘Gun Culture’ and ‘Civil Statehood’ in Yemen, (Journal of Arabian Studies: Arabia, the Gulf, and the Red Sea, 2014).
- Hill, Ginny, Peter Salisbury, Léonoe Northedge, and Jane Kinninmont, Yemen: Corruption, Capital Flight and Global Drivers of Conflict, (London: Chatham House, September 2013).
- Schmitz, Charles, Building a Better Yemen, (Washington D.C.: Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, April 2012).
- Sharqieh, Ibrahim, A Lasting Peace? Yemen’s Long Journey to National Reconciliation, (Washington D.C.: Brookings Doha Center, February 2013).
- Sharqieh, Ibrahim, International intervention, justice and accountability in Yemen, (European Council on Foreign Relations, November 2013).
- Thiel, Tobias, Yemen’s Arab Spring: From Youth Revolution to Fragile Political Transition, (LSE Ideas Special Report, 2012) Thiel, Tobias, Yemen’s Negotiated Transition between the Elite and the Street, (LSE Middle East Centre, 2012).
- Alwazir, Atiaf, the Square of Change in Sana’a: an Incubator for Reform, (Paris: Arab Reform Initiative, May 2011).
- Bonnefoy, Laurent, From Street Mobilization to Political Mobilization, (Moulay Hicham Foundation, September 2012).
- Laurent Bonnefoy and Marine Poirier, The Structuration of the Yemeni Revolution - Exploring a Process in Motion, (Revue française de science politique, May 2012).
- Human Rights Watch (HRW), Classrooms in the Crosshairs: Military Use of Schools in Yemen's Capital, (11 September 2012).
- Human Rights Watch (HRW), Yemen's Torture Camps: Abuse of Migrants by Human Traffickers in a Climate of Impunity, (25 May 2014).
- International Crisis Group (ICG), Yemen: Enduring Conflicts, Threatened Transitions, (July 2012).
- Al-Zwaini, Laila, The Rule of Law in Yemen Prospects and Challenges, (HiiL’s Rule of Law Quick Scan Series, September 2012).
- Amnesty International, Yemen: Lack of Investigation into Human Rights Violations Entrenches Impunity, (20 June 2014).
- Human Rights Watch (HRW), Unfinished Massacre: Yemen's Failed Response to the 'Friday of Dignity' Killings, (12 February 2013).
- Durac, Vincent, The Joint Meeting Parties and the Politics of Opposition in Yemen, (British Journal of Middle Eastern Studies, December 2011), p. 343–365.
- Yadav-Philbrick, Stacey, Tawakkul Karman as Cause and Effect, (Middle East Research and Information Project-MERIP, 21 October 2011).
- Day, Stephen, The Political Challenge of Yemen’s Southern Movement, (Washington D.C.: Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, March 2010).
- Dingli, Sophia, The Politics of (Re)Unification: Lessons from Yemen for Cyprus, (14 February 2013).
- Human Rights Watch (HRW), Days of Bloodshed in Aden, (9 March 2011).
- International Crisis Group (ICG), Yemen’s Southern Question: Avoiding a Breakdown, (September 2013).
- O'Neil, Brian, Aden's Port in the Storm, (Washington D.C.: Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, 6 September 2012).
- Boucek, Christopher, War in Saada: From Local Insurrection to National Challenge, (Washington D.C.: Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, April 2010).
- Brandt, Maraike, Sufyan's Hybrid War: Tribal Politics During the Huthi Conflict, (Journal of Arabian Studies, the Gulf, and the Red Sea, 2013)
- International Crisis Group (ICG), Defusing the Saada Time Bomb, (Middle East Report N°86, 27 May 2009).
- Neubauer, Siguard, Tensions at the Saudi-Yemeni Border, (Washington D.C.: Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, October 2013).
- Al-Dawsari, Nadwa, Marib Youth and Political Transition in Yemen, (The Atlantic Council, 31 March 2014).
- Alwazir, Atiaf, Youth Inclusion in Yemen: a Necessary Element for Success of Political Transition, (Arab Reform Initiative, December 2012).
- Chatham House, The Role of Youth Activists in Yemen’s Process, (May 2012).
- Qasem, Alaa, Five Barriers to Youth Engagement, decision-making, and leadership in Yemen’s political parties, SaferWorld, (December 2013).
- Yemen Polling Center (YPC), Policy Brief - Supporting Youth Activism in Yemen: Challenges, Priorities and Needs, (November 2013).
- Yemen Polling Center (YPC), The Youth Movement and its Activists, (December 2013).
- Al-Hamdani, Samaa, Yemen's Quota: Success for International Community or Yemeni Women? (Fikra Forum, 27 September 2013).
- Al-Sakkaf, Nadia, Yemen's Women and the Quest for Change: Political Participation After the Revolution, (Frederich Ebert Stiftung, 2012).
- Heinze, Marie-Christine, and Sarah Jamal, Integrating Women's Security Interests in Police Reform in Yemen: Some Suggestions for Structural Reform, (Yemen Polling Center -YPC, June 2013).
- Human Rights Watch (HRW), How Come You Allow Little Girls to Get Married? Child Marriage in Yemen, (8 December 2011).
- Hurst, Miranda, Expanding Yemeni Women's Participation in Public Sphere, (September 2012).
- Pandya, Sophia, Religious Flexibilities of Older Yemeni Women in Sanaa, (Journal of Middle East Women's Studies, 2014), p. 52-79.
- Wameedh Shakir, Mia Marzouk and Saleem Haddad, Strong Voices: Yemeni Women's Political Participation from Protest to Transition, (SaferWorld, 12 July 2012).
- Yemen Polling Center (YPC), Towards a Gender Equality Department at MOI, (June 2013).
- Yemen Polling Center (YPC), Women's Voices in the New Yemen, (February 2014).
- Al-Dawsari, Nadwa, The Popular Committees of Abyan, Yemen; a Necessary Evil or Opportunity for Security Reform? (Washington D.C.: Middle East Institute, 5 March 2014).
- Al-Dawsari, Nadwa, Tribal Governance and Stability in Yemen, (Washington D.C.: Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, April 2012).
- Alwazir, Atiaf, Achieving Long Term Stability in Yemen: Moving Beyond Counter-Terrorism, (Washington D.C.: Project on Middle East Democracy -POMED, 18 May 2012).
- Gaston, Erica and Nadwa al-Dawsari, Waiting for Change: The Impact of Transition on Local Justice and Security in Yemen, (Washington D.C.: US Institute for Peace -USIP, 9 April 2013).
- Human Rights Watch (HRW), A Wedding That Became a Funeral: US Drone Attack on Marriage Procession in Yemen, (20 February 2014).
- Human Rights Watch (HRW), Between a Drone and Al-Qaeda: The Civilian Cost of U.S. Targeted Killings in Yemen, (22 October 2013).
- International Crisis Group (ICG), Yemen’s Military Security Reform: Seeds of New Conflict? (April 2013).
- Lucas, Winter, Conflict in Yemen: Simple People, Complicated Circumstances, (Washington D.C.: Middle East Policy Council, 2011).
- Soudias, Dimitris and Mareike Transfel, Mapping Popular Perceptions: Local Security, Insecurity and Police Work in Yemen, (Yemen Polling Center – YPC, 9 July 2014).
- Human Rights Watch (HRW), A Life-Threatening Career: Attacks on Journalists under Yemen's New Government, (19 September 2013).
- Reporters without Borders (RSF), Journalism Getting More Dangerous in Yemen, (30 April 2013).
- Reporters without Borders (RSF), Journalists Constantly Harassed and Attacked in Yemen, (13 March 2014).
- Yemen Polling Center (YPC), Policy Brief - Media and Parliament in Yemen: Challenges for Reporters and Possible Solutions, (December 2013).